Pets are an important part of your family so it is your duty to ensure they live a long and healthy life. We pamper our furry dogs and look after them like our own children. Dogs are drawn to the delicious smells and tastes of a feast. Dogs love eating human food and with those adorable “feed me” eyes, it’s hard to resist sharing food with your dog. This may or may not surprise you, but our pets can’t digest a lot of foods which we can.
A lot of foods are indigestible for dogs, simply because they contain carbs. This happens because dogs do not have the necessary enzymes in their stomach that are required to break down and utilize carbs. Dog owners need to be aware of what not to feed your dog.
Avocados are known to have a lot of healthy fats for for people, but turns out they are not so healthy for our furry friends. It consists of a toxin which is harmful for the heart and lungs of dogs. Also avocados contains persin, to which dogs are allergic to. Consuming persin can cause diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.
People do prefer a dose of caffeine throughout the day to get a boost of energy. But it’s never a good idea to feed your dog anything that contains caffeine. Ingestion of caffeine can cause restlessness, diarrhea, vomiting and can even cause death in small dogs. The effects of caffeine poisoning can be seen one to two hours after ingestion. Products like tea bags, energy drinks, flavoured sodas or candies also contain caffeine. Visit your nearest vet in case your pet consumes caffeine.
It is already widely known that dogs should not eat chocolate. Chocolate is made of a caffeine-like substance called theobromine. Theobromine can cause drooling, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and seizures. There are some people who still use chocolate as a treat for dogs. Under any circumstance, do not feed chocolate to your dog. There are many dog treats available in market. Your dog will readily do any trick for the delicious & healthy treats available at Betsyfarms.com
This may come as a shock but many dogs are actually lactose intolerant, which makes it difficult for dogs to properly digest milk. Lactose is a natural sugar found in dairy products like milk, cheese and even ice creams. As puppies, the milk is digestible as it comes through their mother but as they grow up, they lose their ability to digest lactose. Look for the following symptoms if you are confused whether your dog is lactose intolerant or not.
This might seem pretty obvious but it still needs to be mentioned while discussing what not to feed your dog. Alcohol if consumed in small quantity can be a cause of diarrhea, drooling or vomiting. In case if consumed excessively, can cause your dog heart failure. Also beware of products that contain alcohol such as perfumes and shampoos. If you just want to watch a dog having a sip of alcohol, you have a luxury called youtube so there is need to experiment with your own dog.
Xylitol is a sweetener used in many food items and day to day products such as gums, mints, peanut butter, mouthwash and even cough syrups. Xylitol can cause low blood sugar and liver problems. Low blood sugar can occur between 10-15 minutes of consuming Xylitol. This condition cause symptoms such as weakness, tremors, seizures. It can also cause your dog to collapse. In case of xylitol consumption, visit your nearest veterinarian as this can be fatal for your dog if it goes untreated.
While a chicken is one of the most healthy and delicious food out there for dogs. It is worth mentioning that a chicken bone can cause choking hazard or damage to intestines. It is quite easy to toss of a bone from your chicken or turkey. A bone can break into small pieces and can choke your dog to death. Bone stuck in intestines or stomach can cause severe discomfort and sometimes may need a surgery.
Grapes are considered super healthy for people but pose serious health problems for dogs. Eating grapes can cause kidney problems leading to kidney failure. The reason grapes are toxic to dogs is still unknown. This is the reason canines should avoid grapes at all cost. Even a small amount can be very dangerous so always be cautious if your kids are eating grapes and make sure grapes are out of reach for your dog.