Snoring has a huge effect on people. Not only does it cause a source of discomfort to your partner, it also affects your sleep such that you have interrupted sleep, blood pressure arising from restless sleep, heart issues, brain damage and the like. Generally, snoring is annoying. It often worsens as the person gets older and is common to overweight persons.
An obstruction of the air flowing from the nose and mouth results in snoring. This might be as a result of alcohol consumption, old age,sleeping pills which allows the throat muscles to relax, obesity in adult and children which enlarges the throat tissue, or sinus infection.
Some natural ways to stop snoring include;
- Sleep posture: The most basic thing to do if you snore is to check your sleeping posture. If you sleep on your back,your tongue moves backwards blocking airflow. You might want to change your posture and sleep on your sides so that your airways are free.
- Unblock your sinus: Blocked sinuses can cause snoring. This might be as a result of sinus infection, flu,or even as a result of seasonal change. Having a balanced immune system can help. Vitamin C can help boost the immune system and help unblock the sinus. Vitamin C can be found in fruits like pineapple, papaya, veggies like broccoli and red bell pepper.
- Get in shape: Large throat tissues can result in blocked airways and this is somewhat peculiar to overweight persons. One way to stop this is to get in shape. Weight loss would not only reduce your chances of snoring,it might also help in saving you from a lot of health complications.
- Inhibit your intake of alcohol: Alcohol causes you to relax and thereby makes your throat muscles to do the same,this results in snoring. To avoid this try to reduce your intake of alcohol at meal times especially during dinner.
- Watch what you eat: Eating heavy meals and diary products (milk) before bedtime increases your chances of producing mucus in your mouth thereby resulting in the blockage of the airways.
- Get a humidifier: Congestion occurs in the throat when dry air dries out the throat and nasal membrane. This can result to a restriction in the breathing pattern causing a vibration in the throat tissues which resounds out as snoring. You can use a humidifier to aid in the elimination of dry air and allow for easy breathing.
- Watch your sleeping pattern: Hitting the sacks only when you are exhausted can result in snoring to change this, try regularizing your sleeping pattern and this would not only aid snoring but will improve your quality of life.
- Mouth appliance: Since snoring is caused by blocked airways a mouth appliance will aid in moving the mouth forward and allowing the free flow of air.
- Clear your Airways: If your snoring is caused by blocked airways or chest colds, try putting drops of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil in a bowl of hot water and then try breathing it in before going to bed.
Hi there, I'm Ömer, editor at InsaneVisions.com. Make sure to subscribe to our mailing visit for the latest news.
Latest posts by Omer Cetin (see all)